· Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
·Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
·Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
·Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Each DT unit is sequenced to follow the model of design, make, evaluate and incorporates technical knowledge. A programme of study enables each yaer group to build on previous units and each year is assigned units appropriate to their topic.
We implement this in school through a range of different strategies:
· Ensuring strands of mechanisms, textiles and structures are covered throughout time at Primary School with opportunities to build on previous units
· Completing a cooking unit every term based on explicit skill taught in term 1 appropriate to the year group
· Following a progressive programme of study linked to our topics
· Using a sequence of learning in each unit as set out by the diagram.
The impact of our approach is: